Friday, August 9, 2024

My Life is in (Ancient Greek) Ruins

When I got the news I was accepted for the CIG internship I was ecstatic. I just finished the third year of my undergraduate degree in Mediterranean Archaeology and felt a longing to engage with the material I was learning about in class. I had never been to Southern Europe before, but even as I saw the sun rise near the end of the 8 hour plane journey, I know I was going to embark on a life-changing adventure.

I was put to work straight away, helping out and guiding other travelers who had also just arrived in Greece to the CIG guest apartments. I also set to exploring my new home for the summer, and getting used to the entirely unfamiliar Greek sun. Although I started to melt right away, I was able to visit Hadrian's library. I was fascinated by the supple marble, porous clay bricks, and the simple fact that I was standing in the same places as the people I studied while an ocean away.

My time in Greece followed this pattern of helping keep the institute running and cataloguing newly arrived books, then going out to explore on the evenings and weekends. One weekend I was visiting Delphi and the scenic Mountain town of Arachova, while the next I was off to ancient Mycenae and Epidaurus. I was able to cross the Aegean to visit Aegina; sampling pistachios and running up mountains scattered with ruins of a long gone city. Even within Athens, after work was over, I toured through the city visiting sites like Philoppapos Hill, The Agora, The Acropolis and more. Much to my delight, I had the opportunity to peruse the collections of artifacts and sculptures like those at Benaki Museum or the National Archaeological Museum, unburdened by the cost of entry thanks to the Ministry of Culture pass I received as part of my internship.

On top of all this, then there were darts nights at the Red Lion. Here I was able to bask in the familiar presences of my Professors from Trent, alongside new faces like Janne, the Intern from the Finnish institute. I was able to talk to working Archaeologists, those who I hope to join as I continue onwards forming my skills as an apprentice in the field, pushed on by a reinforced passion for history. Now, I also may or may not have a new hobby to pick up back in Canada. I even had the opportunity to celebrate Canada day under the Acropolis with the Ambassador of Canada; an event I was extremely privileged and honoured to be invited to, and which was only possible through the Internship.

Now not only do I have hobbies and souvenirs to bring back, but also friends and experiences that will last with me for the rest of my professional and personal life. One of these memories was a trip to Meteora, where I was able to watch the sun slowly slide below the horizon, casting bronze light across the Thessalian plains. Here, I met some friends and acquaintances I knew from back home, which made the fading sunlight feel even warmer. Another fond memory I'll keep with me is watching the sunset over the Odeon of Herodes Atticus as Tchaikovsky's Piano Concerto is beautifully played by an orchestra as part of the Athens-Epidaurus festival.

The story doesn't even end there, as my last excursion outside of Athens during the internship came and went like the sun over the Temple of Poseidon at Cape Sounion. Through my work at the internship, I found the resources and advice I needed to be able to make a pilgrimage to Mount Athos in August. This experience, I hope, will round out this chapter of my life as one full of professional, spiritual and personal growth. While I’ve seen a few beautiful sunsets over the ruins in Greece, I hope that because of the time I spent here, I’ll be able to come back one day and experience the sunrise over the ancient sites to which I’ve decided to dedicate my career.

Brandon Montague

Trent University intern, summer 2024

No comments:

Post a Comment