Monday, April 11, 2011

April Ross' internship experiences


For those who have not met me during my three month internship at CIG, let me tell you a little about myself and my experiences here in Greece. The winter internship at CIG is organized through the University of Waterloo, from which I have just recently graduated with a joint honours degree in Classical Studies and Geography. As a geographer, I have a predilection for studying in the field, and the internship has offered me the perfect opportunity to investigate Classical sites first-hand.

I am often asked what I do as the CIG intern. For the most part I work in the library, accessioning and cataloguing new acquisitions and working with the catalogues themselves. For example, during the past two months I have been recataloguing and organizing the library collection to bring it up to date with current Library of Congress classifications.

Over the past three months I’ve gained a greater appreciation of archaeological work. Since my studies have mainly focused on language and literature, I have only the basic understanding of how archaeology works and the techniques used therein. However, after attending several lectures hosted by the various foreign schools and institutes in Athens, my understanding of the field has broadened significantly.

Of course, I didn’t just come here to work, and I’ve spent my weekends traveling to various sites in Greece. Some are old favourites that warrant a second visit, such as Mycenae, Epidauros, and a particularly memorable birthday visit to Delphi. Others are brand new to me, including Nafplion, Eretria, Marathon, Mystras, Monemvasia, and Santorini. Each one has offered new insights into the Classical world as well as a greater appreciation of the landscapes of Greece. A big shout out to all my travel buddies, but especially to ValĂ©rie, who braved the public transportation system and hiked mile for mile with me across rugged Greek terrain.

Now that I’m heading back to Canada, I am a little saddened at leaving after such a memorable experience, but I know that this will not be the last time I visit Greece. Keep an eye out, and you may find me dropping in to the Institute again and again in years to come. A big thank you to everyone who made my stay here so fantastic, and I hope we will see each other again soon!

Keep your stick on the ice,
April Ross

No comments:

Post a Comment