Friday, January 1, 2016

I am an Athenian...sort of

My name is Victoria Newson and I was lucky enough to have been selected as the fall 2015 Intern Student at the Canadian Institute in Greece (CIG) from early September to late December. I am currently a fourth year Near Eastern and Classical Archaeology undergraduate at Wilfrid Laurier University and received the Gerald Schaus Grant to work at the CIG. Throughout my time here, I worked on a variety of tasks including clerical work around the library (e.g. cataloging), helping with all elements of a book sale, as well as lots archival work with the Projects Archive at the Institute.

My most exciting project was archiving all of the Canadian Institute fieldwork material. I learned about the various projects that the Institute has undertaken for the past 35 years and grew to understand how projects really work from an administrative and director perspective. It was a bit like a guide on how to and how not to conduct fieldwork in Greece when it comes to bureaucracy. One moment that stood out for me was actually going to the Eleon project with one of the directors on the CIG trip to Boeotia.  I got to see exactly what the project I read so much about looked like. I learned more of its history and the hypotheses around it.

My horizons in the field of archaeological study have been broadened and I think that I understand a lot more of the administrative, procedural and academic side of the archaeological community. I also learned a lot through the various projects assigned to me. I learned to use Excel spreadsheets more efficiently; I learned how to archive project materials and the proper procedures for applying for a permit (e.g. application to CIG, approval by the committee, application to the Ephoreia and permission from the Ministry).  I even picked up a variety of Greek archaeological words while doing the archiving! The cataloging was very interesting as I had to learn how to look for an Library of Congress (LC) number (e.g. World Cat), to search North American libraries for the LC number and finally how to create and catalogue your own LC number. Since I had no previous cataloguing experience, this was a useful learning opportunity. I also learned to enter in and transliterate Russian.

I am extremely proud to say that I monopolized my free time in Greece by exploring not only Greece but other parts of Europe (e.g. Copenhagen, Vienna and Prague). I also visited numerous museums, cafes, restaurants and sites in Greece, as well as different regions of the country (e.g. Santorini, Peloponnese, Thessaloniki, Attica and Boeotia). I got to explore every weekend and during the afternoons after work.

Throughout this experience, I had the chance to meet local Greeks and develop relationships with them through going for food, texting with them, joining their nightlife and travelling with them. I also had a chance to meet and interact with a variety of people from different countries and backgrounds who are all part of the academic community by attending lectures across Athens and going to the Red Lion on Tuesday night. I also had the opportunity to make really good friends that I will stay in contact with for a very long time.

As a tourist who has visited Athens a few times I never really liked the city. I always considered it to be dirty, hot and sketchy albeit with some great ruins and museums. However, living here for the past 3.5 months has changed my mind about the city. Yes it might not be the cleanest and aesthetically beautiful city but its characters, history and people make it come alive and feel like a home away from home. There always seems to be electricity in the air, a buzz on the street, and a motto to live for the possibilities of tomorrow and work to live. I am happy to have found a home away from home and am proud to call myself a honourary “Athenian”.

I want to thank the Institute’s Director, David Rupp, and Assistant Director, Jonathan Tomlinson, for giving me this fantastic opportunity to work with the CIG this fall, as well as Gerald Schaus. This opportunity was truly a once in a lifetime experience.

Victoria Newson
Wilfrid Laurier University intern

No comments:

Post a Comment