Friday, June 10, 2011

The Fred Winter Photo Project Continues

For several months now I've been sorting through the photographs of Professor Fred Winter. The thing is, for the longest time I had no idea who Fred Winter was, except through these photographs. Until the Institute's annual Open Meeting a few weeks back, I didn't even know what he looked like. It was a bit strange to see a photo of him because through his photos I've built up a certain image in my mind.
Although the photos of the many archeological sites are impressive, I found myself drawn to the more personal photos. The negative above was noted as "the men who arrested me".
This photo is of the "man who gave us figs". Both of these pictures where taken in 1957 and they tell a story of not only the archaeology but of adventure that went into exploring the sites at that time. As I continue to sort through Professor Winter's collection of photographs I'll be keeping an eye out for these personal gems that examine not only ancient history, but the recent history of Greece.

Chris

1 comment:

  1. I would love to see those pictures at some point. Fred Winter is such an authority on ancient fortifications and I wonder if in all those years he has worked in Greece, he visited our site at Kastro Kallithea (Peuma).
    Success with archiving those pictures and negatives, Chris!
    Margriet Haagsma

    ReplyDelete